Monday, October 13, 2008

What happened to capitalism?

It occurred to me today that the simple principle of capitalism is dead. I’ve lived under the notion that the harder one works, the better they do in life. Obvious examples: you give a job all that you have to give without running you ragged, and you get promotions and status. You move up the figurative ladder. This is the foundation of capitalist theory. Many people will see a flaw in this logic—where does the fun and enjoyment of life come into this formula? For me the “enjoyment” aspect has always been an insubstantial fantasy of those weaker than me. Enjoyment cannot come from working an 8 to 5 job that barely pays the bills and is nonintellectual and boring. The satisfaction from doing a damn good job is overshadowed by the fact that other people step up and take that glory. The satisfaction is dimmed by nitpicking administration that does not notice that their employees are overworked and underpaid and in pain for various reasons (most job related!).


Again and again I have found that the person the person that is willing to get down and dirty, despite in incompatibilities in the job and their personality, is discarded. Why? I feel that it is because, along with being an honest worker, this person shuts up and gets the job done. They do not brag. They do not try and make friends or suck up to administration. They feel that their good works should speak for itself. But in the real world it does not seem to matter how hard you work. Opinions about what you think and feel, despite you never being asked how you think and feel, rule your life. Opinions that are not based on the hard fact of your work, but on who they think you are outside of the work environment. If they think you’re a nice person to have a chat with. I have seen this again and again among my friends, coworkers and family. You would think, being the observant person that I am, I would try a different tactic when it came to my own various employments—especially after experiencing the bitter results of being under appreciated and ill-favored because I did not try and curry any favors. I have also seen institutions crumble in my absence and customers and coworkers ask for me once I’m gone—much to the irritation of those in charge.


To me what seems “fair” and “right” is to notice and appreciate people for the work they DO, not the work they tell you they do, or the hard hours they complain about.


I think the workers that shut up and get the job done deserve penance. We have to watch others who we see chatting and goofing off getting paid more than we do. We get passed over for raises because there was no “improvement” in our work. Guess what? Our work was always awesome—done on time and as correct as humanly possible. Why do people think that doesn’t take effort? Is the effort of sweat and tears only possible if someone has told you that they sweated and cried over their work?


Just because this is reality, that does not make it right.

But lessons have been learned. When the time comes and I have underlings and power, or when I am a society leader I will remember the mistreatment and injustice. I’m sure I will notice the quiet employee and respect them—and as for everything else? Time will tell. I’m looking forward to a career in law, where it will be pretty clear that I am doing good work even if I don’t talk myself up to the “boss”.


A girl can dream, right?

No comments: